Thursday, October 18, 2007

Tybee Island



Karen and I don't get out of town very often, but this weekend we were made an offer we couldn't refuse. Our friends Jill and Jon Dible had the use of a wonderful little beach house on Tybee Island Georgia, and invited us to share it with them. We had been talking for a while about taking a trip back to Savannah to do some photography, and Tybee Island is just across the bridge.



Karen was looking for some "big sky" images, and one thing the Georgia coast offers is a lot of big sky. The salt marshes are breathtaking, and the weather provided a beautiful combination of blue sky and dramatic clouds. She came back with around 300 shots. Now comes the task of culling out the best images, cropping and color correcting.



I was looking mostly for architectural images. Savannah provides a wealth of "historical" doorways. I've painted a number of these in the past, and have been "Jonesing" to do some more. A nice break from still life. Walking around the moss draped oak lined streets of Savannah early in the morning is a pleasant experience to say the least. If you haven't been there, I highly recommend it.



I couldn't resist taking some standard "boat on the water" pix. It's hard to resist when your there on the docks. The Tybee Island Marina provided no shortage of those too. It was a fun trip. Lots of walks on the beach. Delicious food, all prepared by Jon, who is an amazng cook. A good time, with close friends. It doesn't get any better than that.

Now it's time to get back to work. I've been collecting some new items for up-coming still lifes. Really looking forward to painting these! Anxiously waiting to hear back from the London gallery. Apparently there is a postal strike going on at the moment, so there's no telling when my package will actually arrive.

I will have a new painting ready to post in a couple of days. I think it's a good one. I like it so far anyway.



11 comments:

Unknown said...

I enjoy your blog every day. My youngest daughter was looking over my shoulder one morning and saw one of your glass still lifes. She was awed by it--as I.

My oldest daughter graduated from SCAD in Savannah and works as a designer there now. Your pictures bring back many memories. I look forward to seeing your Savannah trip recreated in your work.

tlwest said...

Looks like a great area to breathe!

Tracy Helgeson said...

Sounds like such a nice getaway. I look forward to seeing what you both do with those images. Beautiful shot of the door.

This Painting Life said...

How wonderful and peaceful :) Bliss even! Like the doorway shot...I do see a painting come on for you there, perfect!

Manuela Valenti said...

Wonderful memories from Tybee Island. Been there with my kids and husband for a vacation while living in Atlanta. I so miss Georgia, now that I'm not there anymore.

How great you both had a wonderful time, Looking forward to see your new paintings!

Anonymous said...

The oil paintings are truly great.We would love to see an art gallery of such paintings. The late summer village deserves a special mention.

Rohit Kulkarni said...

I like your paintings a lot. Their realism scares me. It would be wonderful to just watch you paint some time.

I also like to paint and its very inspiring to see works of artists like you.

The photographs are wonderful. Just waiting to see you put them on canvas.

Arts cad said...

I like this post.
sell art
sell art online

Arts cad said...

Nice post..
oil paintings
artwork reproductions

Arts cad said...

Good post..

Buy contemporary painting
Buy original artist contemporary art

Arts cad said...

Good one.....

Buy painting reproductions
Buy artists posters