Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Study for Commission: Fritos


Study for Fritos
oil on hardboard panel
5.5'' x 5.5"

I wound up spending all of last week working on photography, and as yet haven't started the actual paintings for the commission. As I selected the images for each of the paintings, I decided to do some studies prior to beginning the actual project. Work out some of the details, colors and techinques for these large paintings. I want to get this right, and felt a few small studies couldn't hurt.

I've also been really missing ebay lately, so I also decided to put each of these studies up for auction. This cropped version of a Fritos bag will be the first. I have four more completed studies at this point. One for each of the subjects I've chosen. Reserving the option of doing more if I feel I need additional practice. These studies are select portions of the full compositions. I don't know how much these small paintings will assist me in the production of the actual paintings, but they have helped me to get my head around this commission. To say that my confidence level has increased as a result of creating these small studies. I should have the second piece up tomorrow evening. Anyone interested in bidding on this painting can do so by clicking here.


1 comment:

Jelaine Faunce said...

Whenever I do a small scale study, I always assume it will be helpful, but don't expect it to boost my confidence as much is actually does. Always a wonderful surprise after a study to sit down before the large canvas and realize the intimacy I developed at small scale has given me a sense of ease and calm before a piece I would otherwise approach with trepidation. I can't wait to see the final product. I bet it will be spectacular. As usual.