Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Cup and Spoon No.6


Cup and Spoon No.6
oil on hardboard panel
6'' x 6"

Number three for ebay this week is one of my favorite subjects. The cup and spoon. I've been working to achieve that wonderful translucent quality of china in my paintings for quite some time now. I haven't quite gotten it yet. I can usually get close, and occasionally real close. Duane Keiser nails it every time with his ceramic subjects, a fact that elicits much envy in me. Having said that, I do like how this painting has turned out even though the posted image is not that great. I was writing to a fellow artist, Paul Brown, just this morning in fact about the difficulty in photographing finished paintings. How hard it is to get a reproduction that honestly represents the piece. Some paintings photograph beautifully, while others are a real challenge. I don't know if it's just me, but it seems my favorite paintings are usually the most difficult to photograph accurately. Maybe my expectations for those is just higher. If you'd like to purchase this painting, you can access the auction by clicking here.


3 comments:

K. Henderson Fine Art said...

Nice painting. And I have to agree. Some paintings photograph well the first time. Others take longer to photograph than they did to paint!

Anonymous said...

Neil, It is great see you are back updating your blog. I look forward to seeing each of your inspiring work.

Phil Holt

Pierre Raby said...

Nice work, love the tablecloth details - amazing how you're able to create dynamism with a symetrical
composition. Taking pictures of paintings is my worst nightmare on this blog adventure! Yours, always display well on different screens.
-Pierre