Wednesday, May 27, 2009

My Right Foot


My Right Foot
oil on canvas
12'' x 24"

Vacation is over, and it feels good to get back into the groove once again. I finally finished up this painting of one of my "dress" shoes. The right one I believe. It's from a batch of photographs I shot for the recently completed Chicago commission. While I was in the midst of composing the image for the theme of "Family" I took a number of shots of my shoes alone. I came up with quite a few compositions that work pretty well, and depending upon how this one is received, I hope to return to that folder of images, and paint more along this line in the future.

I'm currently working on another of my large (24 x 24) mixer paintings. I bought a really cool looking Hamilton Beach off of ebay a while back, and have been anxious to paint it. I finished the first pass today, and as always, I'm a little distressed about how it looks. This happens with every one of my paintings, so I'm remaining optimistic that it will turn out to my liking in the end. I haven't decided where I'll be sending either of these as yet. I may just stockpile a number of new paintings, then make the decision as to where to send them.


10 comments:

Chris said...

Love the shoe!

You mentioned being distressed on the first pass... oh good, I'm not the only one. Without fail, I always shudder on the first pass. I've learned to accept that as a natural phase and remind myself to look forward to the next time I sit with a painting.

turcios curriculum said...

FANTÁSTICO Y REAL!

Pierre Raby said...

Great piece Neil. Simple,deep and mysterious- love it!

Déjà View Designs said...

Oh wow! It makes me want to check for my husband's other shoe, so very realistic.

KEITH PROCTOR Painting blog said...

BRILIANT ALL ROUND, I FEEL LIKE I CAN SMELL THE LEATHER, "JUST THE LEATHER" !!

Paul Coventry-Brown said...

I love the asymmetry and the staying away from what most people would have done ... the heel against the right edge.
beautifully painted and I love the shades of grey in the back/foreground.

Paul Coventry-Brown said...

I love the asymmetry and the staying away from what most people would have done ... the heel against the right edge.
beautifully painted and I love the shades of grey in the back/foreground.

Abbey said...

Cool painting!

NJN said...

Love this lone shoe. Intense and with mystery.

Neil N

José Carrilho (Go Detail) said...

Let me brush-off the shinning quality of this work :-)

Best regards,

José