Saturday, April 30, 2011

Dinner with Friends

Carol Marine

Way back when I finally summoned up the courage to quit my day job to paint full-time I also began an intensive search online for other artists. I wanted to see who was out there, what were they painting, and how were they doing it. One of my search methods was to browse the art auctions on ebay. I would sift through hundreds of auction thumbnails in hopes of finding a jewel. It wasn't hard to spot talent. As I scrolled through the listings the gifted artists work stood out like a neon sign.

Crossed Brushes

One of my first discoveries, and still honored in my personal Hall of Fame, was Carol Marine. Her elegant chiseled method of painting blew me away. I'm a huge fan, and was very fortunate this week to have the opportunity to meet her for the first time. She was in Atlanta to teach one of her immensely popular workshops.

Karin Jurick

Karin Jurick, artistic genius, close friend and another ebay find, wrote me an email to say Carol would be in town and we should all get together. So, we all met up at the OK Cafe, one of our favorite places to eat. Karin was accompanied by her better half Brett, a framer, motorcycle enthusiast, designer and builder of "The Paint On" table top easel, and all around great guy. My Karen was up in Asheville with friends so I came alone. It's too bad to, because she would have loved meeting Carol.


Leanto

I had a terrefic time. Carol was wonderful, and it was so nice to finally meet her after communicating for years via email. Working as an artist is an isolated profession, and so it was a real treat to sit and talk art with other artists over a great meal. The only problem with the evening was that it ended way too soon.

I'll have an image of my next Tree's Place painting in a day or so. This one, for some reason, was a real bear.


5 comments:

Jane Hunt said...

Neil, I just saw your spoon painting on Karin's blog and was blown away!! I just love your work.
Sounds like and incredible get-together that was enjoyed by all!

Julie Douglas said...

Hi Neil, Carol and Karin
I'm SO delighted to read about your meeting. Your comment about artists leading isolated lives is so true - thank God for the wonders of the internet. The power and value of connection should never be underestimated! Thank you all three for your wonderful contribution to the creative world. One day I will meet you ALL!

Painting Tips and Tricks said...

I saw that spoon painting as well and it was great!...Daniel

Michele Norman said...

Hey! wonderful time....and that´s exactly the same way I found you and your wife Karen. I first met your paintings, your passion, and then I found you. Great company! Thank you!

Show you said...

I experienced a terrefic time. Carol was wonderful, also it was so wonderful to last but not least satisfy her soon after communicating for many years by using email.
What can we do when we have many boring free time? How about try to get access to the online games? When we talk about the game, we need to talk about the WOW Gold. As the WOW is the world's most famous online game,all of us knows that we have to get the Cheap WOW Gold
to save money !